Supportive Care in Western New York When You Need it Most
Information for Patients, Families and Loved Ones
What is CCS Supportive Care?
Supportive care seeks to address all issues related to comfort of cancer patients under CCS oncology services. It focuses on pain and symptom management, with enhanced awareness of emotional, psychosocial and spiritual care needs of the patient and family.
Supportive Care is available to all CCS patients and families, whatever the stage of the disease, while continuing to receive chemotherapy or radiation treatments.
Why Refer Patients to CCS Supportive Care?
- Uncontrolled or poorly controlled pain.
- Other uncontrolled or poorly controlled symptoms. A number of symptoms other than pain can be distressing to a cancer patient; these include nausea, vomiting, agitation, anxiety, depression, weakness, shortness of breath, diarrhea and constipation, loss of appetite and sleep issues.
The supportive care team will help in controlling these symptoms with appropriate use of medications to improve the quality of life/comfort level of the patient.
- When change in focus of treatment or care occurs to assist
with identifying goals of care including issues; related to end
of life care.
Who Makes the Referral?
Your primary oncologist makes the referral.
If your oncologist, healthcare provider, patient or a family member (care giver) feels that there are symptoms distressing to the patient or the family, they can discuss with the physician and request a referral to supportive care.
What Other Services are Provided by CCS Supportive Care?
- Assistance for patients and families regarding questions about healthcare decision making; including completion of healthcare proxy and/or Medical Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment (MOLST) forms
- Counselling services, emotional or psychosocial support
- Planning for continuing care needs
- Spiritual care, supportive care staff
- Physician, RN, Psychologist and Chaplain
For More Information About CCS Oncology’s Supportive Care Program Contact Us at (716) 565-0355